Kitinoja church
Kitinojantie 691, 61470 Kitinoja
Open during events.
050 553 7641
Juha Kitinoja, Kitinoja village church association
Max 250 people
Accessibility
The chruch has accessibility ramps, but the lower hall can only be accessed by the stairs.
- Parking space for people with reduced mobility
Reservations and inquiries
Kitinoja village church association answers for reservations.
Party arrangements in the hall are handled independently by the organizers. The kitchen space was renewed in the last years. For information about the catering services, please contact Emma Valo 040 768 6345.
040 768 6345
Emma Valo, Kitinoja village church association
About the church
The Kitinoja village church was adopted on Judgment Sunday, 23/11/1952. The archbishop Ilmari Salomies ordained 11 priests as his assistants.
The church was designed by the architect Kauno S. Kallio by adapting the drawings of the previously designed Ilmajoki chapel. The church was primarily built by the villagers’ own voluntary work and funding.
The graveyard was built in 1946 and was inaugurated by the provost Arvi Malmivaara on 27/12/1946.
The first altarpiece of the church was painted and donated by the then vicar, the provost Arvi Malmivaara. It depicts the Ascension of Jesus. The painting is currently on the sidewall of the church hall. The altarpiece is now a painting made and donated by the professor Veikko Vionoja, whose subject is Jesus blessing the children with Kitonoja in the background.
The window on the front side of the church features a glass painting by the artist Pekka Jauhiainen, which depicts women on the way to the cross at Golgota.
The village church association is responsible for the church’s and the graveyard’s upkeep, and the church is mainly maintained by volunteer work. For the church, the Seinäjoki parish pays a lease to the association.
The church hall has seating for 250 people. The lower floor features a parish hall and a kitchen. The hall is where the Sunday school, family parties and many other events are held. The organisers are responsible for the organisation of the parties held in the hall.
In 1969, the church acquired an 8-stop organ, which was manufactured by the Veljekset Tuomi, organ builders from Sotkamo. Church textiles are designed by Kerttu Vihko-Voipio, from Ylistaro.
The statue present in the yard was sculpted Oiva Kentta and his student.
The church is located on the mound by the name Myllykallio. The name comes from the fact that on the site once stood the Rintatalo windmill, which was where the crop was ground to make bread for the citizens nearby. In the same way, the village church shares the bread of life with the wider community through the culture of God’s word and its sacraments.
Through its activities, the church continues to bring the villagers together and unite them.
The church bell in Tapuli bears the words “Serve the Lord with joy”.